Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Savannah Sketches and upcoming events

I had the pleasure of spending last week doing class presentations at Savannah College of Art and Design. One day between classes, I had a little time to do some quick sketches around the beautiful city of Savannah. Here are a couple of those sketches.

I drew these in my Copic Sketchbook, with a 0.03mm multiliner, no pencil. Some of the finest lines did not show up when scanned, but these were really rough sketches/studies anyways.

I had been driving from one building to the next, when the porch on this house really jumped out at me, so I decided to draw it and fix the wood/brickwork in my mind.

As this is a rough study, for a finished piece, I would redraw everything, being more careful about my angles and lining things up properly. Instead, I wanted to get the big picture in my mind first.

A note about this second sketch. I was not drawing to make an exact recreation of each building. Rather, I was creating stylized images using elements that I saw and was inspired by.

These quick sketches were more studies of elements. So, in real life, the balcony did not have the ornate uprights, but another building nearby did. The planters were not really next to that doorway, but I had seen some by another building. Also, to be at the angle which my perspective suggests, would imply that I was actually viewing this from a second floor as well, when in reality, I was sitting on a park bench across a square from the doorway and balcony I liked.

I urge you, even if you don't consider yourself a great artist, sit down and sketch something that inspires you. It could just be a pencil or a piece of wood, it does not have to be as complex as these buildings.

Meanwhile, If you would like to come to some upcoming events, then you are in luck! In April I have a few fun things coming up that I would love to see you attend.

April 26, Eugene, OR, University of Oregon Bookstore, 10am to 5pm. I will be there with my books and portfolios, talking about Copic products and showing techniques. Come and see me!

April 27, Phoenix, OR, Scrappy Crafts. I will be doing demos from noon to 4pm, and then we will have a book signing party from 6 to 8pm.

April 28, Medford, OR, Central Art Supply. I will be teaching a class from 10:30 to 12:30 for any artists interested in learning marker techniques and how to choose papers and inks.

3 comments:

Carole of Brum said...

Wow, your drawing skills are amazing, particularly the second one because you were able to draw from a different angle to that from which you were viewing. I wish I had your talent! CoB

Take care and STAY POSITIVE! Trena said...

Marianne, Awesome sketches. Thank you so much for your encouragement!! I had a growth spurt when I attended the Intermediate Copics Class and you told us that we were all artists - you helped me to see myself that way. I have been claiming it ever since!! Thank you Sister!!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Cathy (Merciechild) said...

These are absolutely gorgeous. Wow, I lov ethem thank you for showing them to us. Hugs Cathy