Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 - Draw It Yourself

Happy New Year! Today we celebrate a couple milestones and get ready to set goals for next year. Today starts my 7th month blogging, and sometime today I will have reached 100,000 hits on my blog counter. Thanks to all my loyal blog readers! I couldn't have had so much success without you. As we look ahead to 2009 now is the time to set some goals...

I'd like to introduce you to a new label that you'll be seeing more of in the upcoming year. Don't be afraid, I'm only trying to help you become a better artist and teach you fun little things you can do yourself.

This is my little DIY label. When you see this symbol it will be for techniques that you draw or doodle yourself.

Don't get scared of the DIY label! I know that many of you who follow this blog are stampers, and you keep telling yourself that you are NOT artistic. That's thinking negative thoughts and that's not going to help you in the New Year. Think Positive thoughts!

Anyone who colors is an artist. You are all crafty and artistic in your own way. For those of you who have been following this blog for a while and trying my techniques as I show them, you are already noticing that you feel more artistic. I see you at workshops and you tell me how much your coloring has improved and you thank me for showing you how to color creatively. My goal with this blog when I started it was to teach not just how to use Copic stuff correctly but to also teach you basic art techniques.

This year I challenge you to step outside your comfort zone and...
Doodle! Draw! and of course Color!

Look at my happy 2009. Ignore that I drew the whole thing, just notice the little swirls I added with a colored multiliner. ANY of you can draw a swirl. Instead of cutting out a cute patterned paper every time, try drawing small repeating patterns like my swirls. Don't be afraid to change what's already made. You don't have to take a workshop before you try something new, just try it on your own.

Take a stamp or image that someone gives you and doodle on it. If the picture needs a clump of grass, draw your own. Take the plunge and color with one of my more challenging techniques. Whatever you do, do something you haven't done before.

If you make a mistake it doesn't matter because in art there are no mistakes, only learning opportunities.

We'll be using a lot more multiliners, Spica pens, and colored multiliners this year to give your pictures a unique personality. You can use a colored pencil, watercolors, or whatever you're comfortable with, just try something on your own.

In 2009 I urge you think creatively and don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. Anyone who read this post and instantly thought "Oh, I would never draw it myself." YOU are the exact people who need to stop saying NEVER and just try it. Trust me - it won't hurt.

15 comments:

Ria Zonnestraaltje said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!! ohhh yur DIY sounds scary but wonderfull. The only thing that has old be is that I don't know with what sort of pen I should draw if I want to use my watercolour pencils with it :) But I have doodled here and there :)

Well I wish everybody all the best for the new year :)

hugs Ria

marianne walker said...

you can use Copic multiliners with watercolors, and it looks great. (with colored pencils use the pen first or don't press hard because the wax can clog your tips if you draw over heavily colored areas).

get creative and don't be afraid of doodles! have a great 2009

ZISierra said...

I've been a suscriber for a couple of months, just reading but not practicing...

Since I'm not a stamper, this DIY sounds really appealing to me!!!

Looking forward to see that label very often!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!! I am so excited you will be adding and encouraging me to explore my own artistic ability. I have dreamt of being an artist and now you will be helping me on my way!! I have already learned so much and can't wait to see what you have planned for the new year!! THANK YOU!! Blessings and Hugs!!

Pat Bowman said...

Happy New Year to you, too! I've been following your blog for a couple of months, and I'll have to admit - the DIY sounds scary as heck! Since I haven't made any real New Year Resolutions yet, I think I'll take that challenge! Thanks for your inspiration and your teaching ways!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Happy New Year! I too have been following your blog- learning SO MUCH!!! And, I really would love to try to draw- my Mother is a fabulous artist (paints and teaches china painting). I would love to have 1/10 of her artistic abilities!!!
Thanks for sharing your talent.

Shelly Schmidt

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about DIY. About 2 weeks ago, I decided to learn to draw, got the book Drawing For Dummies, and have started doodling. I am thrilled that you will be sharing your expertise with us. Thank you.

Julie Glasgow
www.stampwithjulie.com

B2-kun said...

Amen! Great piece of advice. Best wishes for 2009!

Debbie said...

Thank you for the inspiration today. I need to step outside my box and start doodling. Happy New Year, and I'll see you on the 23rd in Anaheim!

Whimsey said...

LOL - that's ME you're talking too!

Can't wait to DIY!!! Happy New Year!

Susan said...

Marianne, I just love your blog and all your posts are totally on target. I have always loved to draw and learning how to use my copic markers has really made me think outside the box. As usual, You Rock!

Ria Zonnestraaltje said...

Just finished shopping and got home with Copic multiliners :) so no excuse for me to not doodle correctly ;) hahahaa

hugs Ria

Holly Nester said...

Happy New Year Marianne! Hmmm, I need to get some multiliners!

Question...do you ever use your markers on any color of paper but white? Say a kakhi?

Holly
blog.scrapallier.com

"Kirby" (KrB) said...

Thanks for the challenge and I will take you up on it!

Lori Barnett said...

Hey Marianne! I decided to be creative...yep....I had to DIY :) if ya wanna see it's at http://loribarnett.blogspot.com/2009/01/d-i-y.html