Thursday, July 9, 2009

Light from a candle

This is a continuation of my last post on shadows. Although this seems like a very simple picture, I'm labeling this advanced because of how much I'll be going in-depth about the image.

Light from a candle
I drew a really cute scene and I want to step you through the process I use for coloring it. At first glance the picture is very simple. However, we have a lot of complex things going on once we try to color it.

Light from a single source, or candle
The main light source in this artwork is a candle, which is very different than the sun. From my earlier post we know the following:
• Our shadows will all move in a circle out from that point of light
• Light farther away from the candle is softer and muted.
• Shadows close to the candle are strong.

Another couple rules I want to include in our list:
• Reflective/shiny surfaces pick up light from far away in the dark, even if they are in the darker areas of your image.
• In the dark, furry things don't show up as well because light has a harder time bouncing off their surface.
• Colors quickly lose intensity in the dark, so shadows will turn more gray than they would in strong sunlight.
• Things close to the light make bigger shadows than objects farther away (I'll talk about this later, not in this illustration)

Some new points to consider about candlelight:
• Candles throw a warm (yellow) glow over everything that they light up.
• Light from a candle flickers and wavers, so your shadows can be softer.
• The candle wax glows from the candlelight.
• Intensity of the candle light is an artistic choice, however, in real life, candles don't give much light.

This is by no means a complete list, but these are the most important things to keep in mind.

Wow. That's a lot of things to think about. Now you see why I consider this a complex image to color. Let's break this artwork down into smaller parts and tackle it over the course of a few days.

Shadow Study
The first place to start is with a shadow study. We have to look at the whole picture to get an idea of how it will work as a completed composition.

Instead of drawing lines where my light is coming from I am using concentric circles to show intensity. Things that are in the first circle are going to be brighter than the outer circles. How close you make your circles is an artistic choice. My circles are'nt perfect, but it gives you an idea.

I chose to make my circles pretty large and make the candle light brighter than real life so that we can see the cat on the floor better.

Notice that the teddy bear is in the arm opposite the candle and so it will mostly be in shadow. I am not going to talk about the spilled milk today, since that is a reflective surface I am going to cover it later.


Coloring the Boy
Here is the boy colored by himself. On his night shirt I used YG06 for the lightest areas, shadowed with YG17 (a little more gray) and I blended in G28 for the deepest green areas, with a touch of BG96. His cap is V12 and V17 along with the greens.

On his skin I used E01, and I shadowed it with E33. E33 is not what I would usually use for skin shadows, but remember, in the dark the skin loses it's color intensity, so it gets dull faster. On the deepest shadows I used a touch of E44. On his face, which is closest to the candle I left it white and added a yellow highlight.

The teddy bear is E33, E44, E29 and W7. The W7 I added to make the darkest areas grayer, as they would naturally be in the dark. His hair is Y02, YR24, and E33. The candle is Y02, C1, and BV23.

Highlights
I left most highlight areas close to the candle un-colored so that I could add a nice, strong yellow (y02). You can see from this diagram where I added highlights. Things farther away from the candle, like the bottom of his night-shirt, I just added the yellow over the base color. If you swipe a pale color over a darker color enough times it will push the darker color out of the way. I did add some faint yellow hints to his slippers, but that's optional.

Don't forget to color the candle and the highlights on the candle holder yellow as well, since this is a source of the glow. I may add yellow to the background behind the candle after I'm all done, but I'm not worrying about that at this point (I'm thinking of airbrushing the background).


Night Shirt
As you are coloring, keep referring back to your shadow study. Notice that the boy's shirt is long, and it passes through a couple of the light circles. This means that the shirt wil gradually get darker as it gets farther away from the candle, even though the front side is well-lit from the candle.

If you look at the shadows on his legs you will also see that they fall in line from the candle, so they are darkest under his night shirt and lightest on the front side, though they aren't as pale as the skin on his face where the candle light is strongest. I also did not give his legs any yellow highlights.

What really makes this picture work so far is the contrast. Although the background is still white, you can tell at this point that the candle is bright and the boy will likely be standing in a dark room. His side far away from the candle is dark and deeply shadowed, but everything close to the candle is bright and vibrant.

I'll try to finish this picture over the next few days. I hope this has given you some things to think about. Click here to go to part 2.

13 comments:

Karen Hanim said...

This is so very very helpful!!

Jessrose21 said...

Thanks for doing this tutorial, Marianne! I've been waiting for a candle one. :)

Nicole said...

I enjoy your images as much as your explanations! Great work, Marianne, thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Chris said...

this is an amazing technique thank you!@

Carla Murphy said...

Great info on this 'light from a candle' Marianne - I follow your blog closely and have learned a lot so far. Thanks for sharing this.

Leslie Hanna said...

I love these posts. I have zero art background, and these tutorials really help me a lot! Thanks so much for taking the time to do them!

sherry said...

My husband is back!!! I had a problem with my husband 8 months ago,which lead to us apart. When he broke up with me,I was no longer myself,I felt so empty inside .Until a friend of mine told me about one of her spells that helped her in same problem too that she found on a television program. i emailed the spell caster and I told him my problem and I did what he asked me. To cut the story short,Before I knew what was happening,not up to 48 hours,my husband gave me a call and he come back to me and told me he was sorry about what has happened, I'm so grateful to this spell caster and i will not stop publishing his name on the internet just for the good work he has done for me.If you need his help,you can email him at (ezizaspellhome@gmail.com)or tel +2347068534025.....thank you sir great Dr.EZIZA for all that you do and i greatly appreciate that.

Anita Morgan said...

I am Anita Morgan from USA, after 4 years in marriage with my husband ,he left me with another woman. I did all i could to get him back but all proved abortive, until an old friend of mine told me about a spell caster Dr.EZIZA on the internet who helped her in a similar issue, at first i doubted it but I decided to give it a try. when I contacted the doctor (ezizaspellhome@gmail.com) he helped me cast a re-uniting spell and within 48 hours me and my husband came together again. I cant stop thanking Doctor EZIZA, Contact this great spell caster on your relationship or marriage problems and consider it solved just as mine and be happy again and forever.His email is; ezizaspellhome@gmail.com

Kayla Boaten said...

HOW DR AZUKA HERBAL MEDICINE HELPED ME GET RID OF MY 3 YEARS HERPES
Hello everyone, am from Texas USA i have been suffering from (HERPES) disease since 2015 and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr Azuka and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr Azuka telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Doctor assured me that i have been cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is, if you have such sickness or any other at all like hepatitis A,B,C, CANCER ,HPV, HIV/AIDS ,DIABETES 1 AND 2, PENIS PROBLEM, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT AND many more .......
you can email him on>( Dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com) or call and Whats App him on +2348132777335 i am indeed grateful for the help i will forever recommend you to my friends!!! Thanks.

clifford john said...

My name is Clifford John from USA taxes, I want to share a testimony of how Dr_Ogodo1 herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i can't even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr_Ogodo1 herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than one week of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have week erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed.
* He can also bring back your Ex
*Love spell
* Herpes virus diseases
*Diabetes
*Aid virus
*STD/HSV
*Cancer/typhoid E.t.c you contact him through the mail. Ogodoherbalhomesolution@gmail.com
You can also WhatsApp him on +2349044680467

Unknown said...

I'm 61 years old. I contracted HPV in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr voodoo herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr. voodoo he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr. voodoo make it possible for me. Here is Dr. voodoo email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WhatsApp him via +2348140120719 he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.

John Bull said...

I was duped online when I was introduced to a cryptocurrency trading website by an "international broker" on the internet, as he claimed to be. He persuaded me until I agreed to invest $132,000 with him. When my account reached a profit of $332,000, it was frozen, and I was asked to pay a large tax to enable my withdrawals. I decided to look for a bitcoin expert on Google. During my study, I came across Geo Coordinates Hacker, a reputable hacker with special cyber skills required to recover lost funds. I contacted Geo Coordinates Hacker and appealed to him for assistance to help me recover my funds. His service was excellent. I wholeheartedly suggest them to anyone who has been duped out of their funds. You may speak with Geo Coordinates Hacker at geocoordinateshacker@proton.me.

Thamos Lucas said...

I’m Thermos Lucas. I'm here to tell my testimony about how. Geo Coordinates Hacker enabled me to recover my stolen BTC.If you suspect your Credit card, email & password, Facebook, Instagram, twitter Accounts have been hacked, you need to recover stolen money from scammers, report the incident to Geo Coordinates Hacker, they can help you recover your Cryptocurrency BTC. They help you retrieve your stolen currency, in addition, Geo Coordinates Hacker, can provide you with educational materials for staying safe online. They can also identify potential security breaches or vulnerabilities that may have led to the loss of your information.  Please contact the following email address: (geocoordinateshacker@proton.me.)(geovcoordinateshacker@gmail.com)