Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Keep A Swatch Book


If you haven't already, make a swatch chart for all the Copic Colors you have. Make the chart on the type of paper you will usually work on so you can predict results better. For a good example, check out Michelle Wooderson's site. Keep the chart protected from light, since these will fade over time if exposed to harsh light. When you find a color combo that you like, write it down! Stamp a simple picture that has an area large enough to color with blends. Include your paper type, ink color, and stamp name so you don't forget. Make these all the same size and keep them in a little book. Organize them by color family so you can quickly flip through and see what will match your current project.

This is a page from my color swatch book. I got an inexpensive little portfolio book and I keep plain stamped images on my personal favorite paper, Neenah Classic Crest Solar White. I have a stack of pics ready to be colored as I find combos I like.

I will be showcasing colors every now and then, showing color combos that work, how a color changes when paired/layered with another color, what things they correspond to, etc. so if you haven't already started a swatch book, now is a good time to start. Also, you might think about keeping a technique book. As I show you new effects with the markers try it on a small scrap, write down the steps & colors, then add it to your book. You'll appreciate these ideas when you're stuck in a rut with a card due the next day!

Image Credits: Stamp- Autumn Leaves, Lockhart Stamp Co. Ink- Tsukineko Memento Rich Cocoa, Paper- Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 80# Cardstock

17 comments:

Kelly Booth said...

Hi Marianne....
Found your blog from Trudee! I LOVE my copics....
Would love to get certified...but i am not an owner or a teacher as of yet....
Glad to have your blog for reference!

Tammy Hershberger said...

Hi Marianne! Thanks for pointing me toward your new blog! I'm very glad to have your valuable knowledge so readily available!

P.S. Come to Cleveland and teach a certification class, please!

Dana said...

Marianne! Thank you so much for starting your blog! I'm adding you to my google reader and will put a link in my blog later this week too! can't wait to see what you have to teach me!

Anne Marie said...

Linked to your blog from Trudee and I am so excited about it. I just bought my first set of COPICS and can't wait to learn how to use them. I will be checking your blog often. Thanks for sharing such valuable knowledge.

teresa said...

Hello - I'm so glad you have started a blog. I love my Copic's! There seems to be so many great ways to use them!

Judy in Indiana said...

Wow. I am excited about this!

Joan Fricker said...

Marianne,
I am excited to learn about your blog. I am a new owner of Copic markers and I have so much to learn. I would love to attend your class in Chicago.

Joan

Michele Kovack said...

I am so glad you are starting a blog!!! I am going to the Chicago class on the 16th! I am adding you to my favs right now!

flourishes said...

HI Marianne....would love to subscribe, please add this subscribe button so I can stay updated to your blog...sure want to take that copic class...Pensacola????

Bunny B said...

Great tip! Exciting blog!! :)

Carolyn Sharkas said...

Welcome to the blogging world. I'm sure you will do great here. I will visit often.

Beatrice said...

Hi Marianne! Got your link through Trudee's blog. Thanks for doing this. I just got my Copic this year and love them. Looking forward to all the new things about copic. Thanks again, Beatrice

Cris A said...

I have finally broken down and just started my Copic clollection. Seriously...so far I bought 1. I can't wait to get more! I'll have to do it one at a time so hubby dosen't suspicious. I added your blog to my favs because I'll need lots of tips!! Thanks!

Dottie K. said...

Hello Marianne, I found your blog from Michelle. Welcome to blog land. I just started my blog and am learning as I go along. I'm hoping to purchase some copic markers on Friday when I visit a new stamp store. I'm so happy to receive all the advice I can on how to use them. Thanks so much for giving us some of your time. Now what colors to start with will be the question? :) Dottie K.

Kathy K. said...

Hi Marianne - just found your blog, its wonderful. Since I've found Copics (specifically Ciaos), I'm wondering...what's the likelihood of getting a Copic Marker that has the brush-tip AND the bullet-tip instead of the huge chisel point? THAT would be The Perfect Marker!

marianne walker said...

I know that people would love a marker that already comes with the brush and the med. round nib. As it is, we find that people are confused enough by our existing choices. Until then you'll just have to keep buying the med. round nib on separately.

Peggy said...

Hi Marianne!! Thanks for the reminder! Have the color chart all filled in and several color swatches done. Just need to get them in a book!