Monday, June 16, 2008

Stamping Paper and Ink Results

We had 324 people submit replies to the question What paper/ink? by the time that I tallied all the stats. I want to thank all of you for your helpful comments. Below are the results, type by type:

Paper - 292 Votes for what works
Papertrey Ink Stamper’s Select: 97 33.2%
Georgia Pacific Cardstock: 72 24.7%
Stampin Up! Whisper White: 36 12.3%
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White: 30 10.3%
Curious Cryogen White: 10 3.4%
Close to My Heart white Daisy: 6 2%
Poison Ivy: 5 1.7%
Bazzil White: 4 1.4 %
Canson Fan Boy, Staples Coverstock, Wasau White: 3 (less than 1% each)
California Paper Goods, Watercolor, Xerox Cardstock, MatteKote: 2 (less than 1% each)
Aquabee Manga Pad, AMuse, Making Memories, Paper Accents Pearlized, Xpedx, PaperRocks 110 #, Paper Cuts, Solarcrest White, Professional Cartooning Pad, Mango, Hobby Lobby Paper Studio, Strathmore Smooth Bristol, WinWorld, Ampad, Hammermill Color Copy Cover, Copic Sketchbook: 1 (less than 1% each)

Papertrey Ink Stamper's Select: This was by far the most popular paper for working with Copics. This is a very high quality, heavy cardstock with good blendability.
Georgia Pacific Cardstock: This inexpensive cardstock is easy to find, with decent blending qualities.
SU! Whisper White: Many of you voted for this paper, although it is not a matte cardstock. It is coated, and some of the comments noted that it is good for single-layer coloring, but not as good for blending.
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White: This cardstock is not as easy to find, but it is a good, high quality cardstock. I use this kind the most, because we also use it for printing on in the office.



Inks - 235 votes for what works
Brilliance: 72 30.6 %
Ranger Adirondack: 49 20.8%
Palette Noir: 46 19.6%
Memento: 24 10.2%
StazOn: 16 6.8%
Versafine: 13 5.5 %
Ranger Distress Ink: 4 1.7 %
Ancient Page: 3 1.3 %
Palette Ink by Stewart Superior: 2 (less than 1%)
Cougar Opaque, Archival Ink/Michael’s, SU! Classic Black, SU! Chocolate Chip, Close to My Heart, Versamark (embossed): 1 (less than 1%)

Brilliance: Almost everyone who suggested this ink said to heat-set it
Ranger Adirondack: This ink was intended not to smear with alcohol inks
Palette Noir: Heat-set it
Memento: Those of you who have tried this new ink love it, since you don't have to heat-set it
StazOn: Many of you who have tried this ink admit that you are beginners, or haven't experimented much, you also suggest heat-setting
Versafine: Heat-set


What doesn’t work, or found something better:
Paper
Stampin Up! Whisper White: 7
Georgia Pacific: 2
Bazzil, SU! Confetti White, Curious Cryogen White, Close To My Heart, Christine’s CC Designs White:1
Inks
StazOn: 4
Stampin Up! Dye Ink: 2
Brilliance, Adirondack, Memento, Encore:1

If you ever get a new type of ink or cardstock remember to try the steps I outlined to find out if these will work for you. Note that some inks work better on some cardstocks than others, so test BOTH the paper and the ink.

Certification- Tomorrow I'll be leaving for Seattle. These classes will be a blast! I am so looking forward to meeting all of you fun stampers and hopefully I'll be able to share some useful things with you. I will try to keep updates on future Certification Classes posted regularly, so keep watching. I found a forum on SCS started by people attending my classes- everyone is so excited!


7 comments:

Sue4stampin said...

I would like to be on your mailing list and possibly I will be able to attend the next time you have a class in Seattle area.

I am a member of SCS and would like to know where to find the forum about your classes. I did a search, but couldn't find what you were talking about.

Thank you,
Sue4stampin

marianne walker said...

here's the forum I found:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354361&highlight=certification

Susan said...

You are so incredibly helpful! Thank you for starting this blog.

Courtney said...

Hey Marianne!
I think another Eugene Certification would be awesome. I know that both my mom and Kim (who was at the last Eugene one, the Kim that I sat with during the end) would probably come over for it. E-mail me! courtney at gmail dot com. The beginning of August is super busy for me (I work at Sacred Heart and move day to Springfield is August 10th) but maybe the 15th/16th?? Let me know!

Judy in Indiana said...

Are there any plans for certification classes in Detroit or in Indiana?

Juli Smith, said...

I have two questions on these results:
1.) Do you know what the weights are of the Neenah Classic Crest Solar White and the Georgia Pacific? (The GP may not come in different weights, but I am pretty sure the Neenah does.)
2.) When speaking of the Ranger Adirondack inks that are intended not to smear alcohol ink - is this dye, pigment or both?

THANKS! Looking forward to the Chicago Cert.! Woohoo!

Margaret said...

I know this is an old post, but I've been working on some swaps today and a number of them were done using Palette Noir ink, and it is really terrible using my copics. Since I didn't stamp them, I didn't heat set them and thought that after all this time they'd be okay, but when I use the Copics, the edges are bleeding. :(