Thursday, July 10, 2008

Feather Blending

This week our internet at work is in transition, so some of my e-mails have been not working or going out as promptly as usual. Be patient! If you don't think I got your e-mail at all, you can call if it is something that can't wait (like details about Copic Certification that I e-mailed last week but many people missed). Use our toll free number 866-66-COPIC (866-662-6742)

For those of you in the Milwaukee area who can't make it to the Certification Class, but still want a chance to visit and get help with your work, be it Manga, coloring stamps, or rendering techniques I will be doing a FREE evening event at Artist & Display. I'll have markers to play with and will be happy to answer any questions. Monday, July 14th, 5-6 pm (unless my flight is late!). The address is 9015 West Burleigh, Milwaukee WI. You can visit their website for directions.

Here is another quick technique post. This is one of the basic ways of blending two colors. Unlike the Marker on Paper blending, this is a good technique when you're trying to blend very different colors. This also works best with the Super Brush nib from a Sketch or Ciao, though it can work with a Copic marker, it's just a little harder to get the perfect feathering.

Feather Blending Colors Together
1. Start with two lighter colors (colors that end in a 4 or less). Pick two colors that are fairly different. In this case I'm working with B23 and R83, since they won't blend using the technique from a couple days ago, and I don't want them to fade to white, so I won't be using a blender. Note that whatever colors you choose will get darker, so start light.

2. Work in a long, thin area. The trick is to work this while the marker is still wet, and we'll be layering ink in one direction, NOT coloring in smooth circles like we have in the past. The back of your paper will only soak through on the darker edge at first, but when you're done, it will be even on the back most of the way through.

3. Apply the first/lighter color about 3/4 of the way through the area (it may be hard to figure out which one is lighter). Lift up at the end of each stroke so you have denser color at the start and less color at the end of each stroke. This takes a bit of practice if you're not used to the softness of the Super Brush. the same principle applies when using a Copic marker, except you won't have the distinct brush-streak. Work in the same direction, but layer enough so you loose the streaks at the base and see them in the middle.

4. Come in from the opposite direction with your second color. Use the same techniques as step 3. Work while it's still wet. This will still look streaky, but have patience. Also, look at how light the marker is in this step, then compare it to the colors in the next step.

5. Repeat. Go back with the first color, then back with the second, then back with the first... you get the idea. Every now and then let the paper dry so you can see the true effect. Also, if the paper gets too saturated you'll see some splotchiness, so if you see ink glistening on the surface, let your paper dry a bit (not all the way, just enough so you're not going outside your lines- do you see the weird lighter area on either end- I should have let it dry more between layers). See how much darker this swatch is, yet there we have a smooth transition from blue to pink.

If you have done this correctly you should loose most of the individual streaks, unless you look close. On smaller areas you won't have to repeat as often to get the smooth look.

Image: Eloise Greengrass by Bella Stamps, Paper: Neenah Classic Crest Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black

14 comments:

Laurel said...

I have to say I LOVE your blog, I learn so much! Thank you!!!

Sandy Knecht said...

That looks so cool. Thanks for explaining the feathering.

Lori Barnett said...

I can see I'm gonna have fun with this one!!

Claret Belle said...

I think I like this technique of coloring better than all the rest. Thanks for all your efforts to posts every day. Wish I was near Milwaukee.

Maureen said...

Thank you so much for sharing this technique! I would never have thought to try this on my own and the results are just gorgeous! I'll definitely be trying this out soon!

מיכל said...

You are an encyclopedia of knowledge. It is great reading your blog. I learn a new thing every day.

Donalda said...

Thank you sooooo much for all your info you are giving us. I love my copic sketch markers sooooo much and I so appreciate your hard work.

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Stunning! You're so wonderful to share your talent & knowledge. Thank you! P.S. Have you ever tried markers on cardstock that has gesso on it? You'd be amazed how fun it is. You can emboss Stampin up markers, or add water to close to my heart ones, & I'm told that tombow go on like a dream. Thanks for sharing your hard work. Can't wait to read more! :0)

SusieQ said...

Your blog is the highlight of my day. I love all of the terrific tips and techniques that you share. Thanks for the time and effort.

Unknown said...

hi, luv this, br

uko )

Lori said...

Thank you so much. I'm ready to try this technique :D
Love and hugs ~ Lori

Melisa Waldorf said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. Can you tell me where you get your Neenah Classic Crest paper and what weight it is?

Becky said...

I just got my copics and this is such a great place to learn about coloring, thanks for your generosity.

Debbie said...

Wow, you make it look so easy.. now off I go to find an image that is big enough to give this a try. As always, thanks for these wonderful tutorials.. they help so much