Monday, July 15, 2013

Creative Ladder and simple Sky Tutorial

CLlogo

I am so excited!!! Creative Ladder, our new online class resource is now open for enrollment. We have two classes to start, with more on the way.

Check it out and register today!  www.creativeladder.com


Coloring sky behind trees
A quick tutorial today, as I look out at the beautiful summer sky. We have had a rather dry Summer so far, and I am starting to miss the rain. However, this is a great time to go over how to color a beautiful blue sky, peeking behind some trees.

I drew this quick little sketch of a tree with one of the new Copic Warm Gray Multiliners. I love how light and sketchy these feel- not as dark as drawing with black, or as brown as the sepia, but it also doesn't feel like I'm drawing with a pencil (The cool gray multiliners look a lot like a light, fine-line pencil sketch). We have new brown multiliners as well, so check out our website for the full range of new sizes and colors. 

This was drawn on Copic Sketchbook paper, which is the same paper you can find in our new Mini Paper Packs. 

I added my sky first by layering some B41, then I came back with BG000. What I want you to note is how the BG brightened up the whole image. Also, see that I was not very careful about the edges of the tree. I went all over the lines. This is not a big deal, because I was trying to color fast and keep my paper from getting streaks or lines in the large blue area. A little blue under my green isn't going to bug me at this point. Also, it helps with the foliage behind the trunk, as that should be a little less vibrant in my final picture anyways.

Next, I colored the leafy areas with a scribbly base of G12. In this case, I scribble fast in the center of the tree with the side of the brush. Then, I slow down around the detailed edges. I do NOT want that green to get out into the blue.

Whenever I slow down, the paper gets soaked more, so those areas will be darker. This is fine, as it is pushing that lighter blue out of the way in unwanted areas. Down by the base of the tree, do you see the plants in back? They are already darker and less vibrant than the plants in front because of the blue base.

Now, think about where you are going to have shadows. I am keeping this tree simple, so mostly my light will be from above. I actually am not too worried about shadows in this image, I just want a range of contrast on my doodle.
Next, I dabbed in G24 and G28. I kept layering, dabbing, dotting, and adjusting the tones to get the look I wanted. I am careful to leave the brown trunk alone, as that area would look strange with green undertones. Don't forget the foliage at the base of the tree as well.

Just keep dotting in colors until you are happy. To brighten up the top of the tree, I dabbed in a lot of Y11. Look at how it really warmed up the top of the tree.

Tomorrow I'll put the finished tree up for you to see how I completed it.

Meanwhile, if your really want to learn about REAL light and shadow, not just me goofing off with markers on a doodle, head on over to Creative Ladder and register for the Light and Shadow class taught by Sandy Allnock!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gracias Marianne, I found this post and liked it, Do you have more tips for rendering forests or grass?
Saludos de Chile